Monday, July 20, 2009

First Fruits

Don't Aberdonian-soon-to-be-American kids need hidden squash in their chocolate breakfast bread? I'm off tomorrow to play with the newly come to this side of the pond, family. What a relief. Dad's doctorate finished and now the 2 1/2 and 1 year old niece and nephew return! And no, sadly, they did not acquire accents. No shortage of cuteness here though.

Auntie's zuc-choco bread (makes 2 loaves)
1/4 c vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 c milk
1 1/2 c sugar
blend together
In a separate bowl whisk:
4 c flour
1/4 c cocoa powder
2 1/2 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
Slowly blend in the flour mix to your wets. Spoon in 3 c zucchini, finely shredded and 1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips. Bake for 1 hour at 350.
== Healthy, happy kids






Plus it's official: my first bounty from Chicago Ave garden. Partnering with a brilliant non-profit, 4 years ago we started a community garden. And today was finally the first day of delicious green things to bring home. Zucchini went home with another, who wasn't long 3 zucchinis from Green City last week (hence inspiration for the zuc/choco bread).
Next up: LOADS of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, more chard, more beans, more peas, more zucchs.
Ps. fascinating article in Newsweek to the right...

1 comment:

  1. Hi, it's your friend Erin. I am making your bread right now. With wheat flour! Yay! I super excited. I licked my spatula ( I know I know... the eggs) but I couldn't resist. It was delic. Can't wait for the real thing. Thanks for the yummy idea :):):)

    ReplyDelete